Chicago Construction News staff writer
Twelve projects with a total expected cost of $263.5 million are now complete, underway or planned in the Kankakee region.
“Rebuild Illinois is revitalizing communities and neighborhoods by investing in projects and people in the Kankakee area and throughout the state,” said Gov. JB Pritzker. “Through the largest capital program in state history, IDOT will be delivering improvements to build a more resilient, accessible and equitable system of transportation for generations to come, while creating jobs and enhancing local quality of life.”
Four projects are scheduled to be completed in 2023, three are expected to finish by the end of 2024 and are planned to start from 2025 through 2027. The include:
Waldron Road over Interstate 57
- A bridge replacement with a wider structure to eventually accommodate additional interstate lanes started a year ago and was completed last month.
I-57 over Grinnell Road and railroad tracks north of Illinois 17
- Bridge replacements started last year. Northbound bridge work continues and the entire project is expected to be finished by the end of 2024.
Armour Road over the Canadian National Railroad
- A bridge replacement started last year is expected to be completed next summer.
Illinois 50 at Armour Road in Bradley
- An intersection improvement started this spring including storm sewer, shared-use path, sidewalk, curb and gutter, lighting, traffic signals and landscape restoration. The project includes improvements to the intersection of Armour Road and Pharmaceutical Drive/Arthur Burch Drive and is expected to wrap up in late 2024.
Illinois 102 from the Will/Kankakee County line to U.S. 45/52 in Bourbonnais
- Signal improvements and milling and resurfacing began in September 2022 and construction is scheduled to be completed by winter.
I-57 and U.S. 45/52 interchange
- This project will convert the present folded diamond interchange into a diamond interchange, replace the overpass and improve I-57 and U.S. 45/52. Construction is planned to begin in 2025.
I-57 at Manteno
- This project will reconstruct the interchange at Manteno (exit 322) and will replace the bridge over I-57. Construction will begin in 2025.
Illinois 50 from Brookmont Boulevard to U.S. 45/52
- Work will replace the pavement in this area and is anticipated to begin in 2026.
Illinois 115 from U.S. 45/52 (Water Street) to Jeffrey Street.
- This project will replace the pavement in this area. Work is anticipated to begin in 2026.
I-57 at Illinois 17 interchange
- This project will convert the present folded diamond interchange into a single point urban interchange (SPUI) and along with replacing the overpass and improving I-57 and Illinois 17. Work is anticipated to begin in 2027.
Visit https://idot.click/Rebuild-Illinois for information and highlights of other Rebuild Illinois projects happening throughout the state.